DOUGLAS F. HEDWIG
3795 Hearthstone Circle
Chattanooga, Tennessee, U.S.A., 37415
- MUSIC COMPOSITION / LIST OF WORKS –
Quintal Groove (in progress): for Wind Quintet
We can find no scar (2017): For mezzo soprano and piano
Paesaggio (2017): Trio for violin, clarinet/bass-clarinet, & piano
Viaggio Diverso (2017): For violin, flute,
clarinet, cello, & piano
Movable Borders (2016): String Quintet for 2 violins, viola, cello & double-bass. Three movements, 18 minutes in duration. Commissioned by the Chattanooga Symphony Orchestra. Premiered February 19, 2017, Chattanooga, TN.
Gitanjali; Song of Devotion (2016): for SATB Choir. Text by Rabindranath Tagore. World Premiere by Choral Arts of Chattanooga, October 29, 2016
TransSonic Awakenings in D (2016): Electro-Acoustic composition for 2-channel stereo. Premiere, world-wide internet broadcast on Wave Farm, WBGO, 7 July 2016 International radio broadcast, Glasgow, Scotland, Radiophrenia, 30 August 2016
A Certain Slant of Light (2015): Five-movement, 17 minute work for brass quintet, organ & percussion (1 player). Inspired by the poem by Emily Dickinson. Commissioned by St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Chattanooga, TN. Premiered on May 4, 2015. Published by Carl Fischer Music, NYC.
Onyx (Revised, 2014): For brass quintet. Two minutes in duration. Published by Carl Fischer Music, NYC.
Its Soul of Music Shed (2005; Revised 2016): For solo flugelhorn and narration. Seven minutes in duration. Premiered by the composer at the International Trumpet Guild Conference in June 2005, Bangkok, Thailand.
Tone Poem on “Taps” (2012): For concert band. Composed in honor of the 150th Anniversary of the creation of America’s most honored bugle call, it was premiered by the United States Army Band at West Point on September 2, 2012 under the direction of the composer. Published by TRN Music Publishers, it has been commercially recorded by the Maryland Defense Force Band.
New York Naval Militia March (2011): For concert band. Commissioned by the New York Naval Militia of the NY Division of Military and Naval Affairs.
Promenade for a Great City (2010): For large brass ensemble. Composed for the Inauguration Ceremony of Michael R. Bloomberg, as Mayor of the City of New York. Premiered at New York City Hall by the Brooklyn College Conservatory Brass Ensemble, under the direction of the composer.
Brooklyn Fanfare (2009): For large brass ensemble. Composed in honor of the President of Brooklyn College, Dr. Karen Gould. Premiered on April 15, 2010 at Walt Whitman Theater, Brooklyn, NY.
New York Guard March (2006): For concert band. Composed for the New York Guard, N.Y. Division of Military and Naval Affairs. Premiered in December 2006 at the West Point Officers Club (NY) by the 89th Army Band, NYG, under the direction of the composer.
- OTHER PROFESSIONAL HIGHLIGHTS-
CHATTANOOGA TIMES FREE PRESS: Music Critic / Symphony Reviewer (2015 – Present)
METROPOLITAN OPERA ORCHESTRA: Trumpet Player (Tenured), 1973-2001 (Retired)
- Performed and worked with many of the finest conductors of the 20th century, including: James Levine, Erich Leinsdorf, Rafael Kubelik, Nello Santi, Valery Gergiev, and others
OTHER MAJOR PERFORMING EXPERIENCE:
- Martha Graham Ballet Orchestra, Mexico City Philharmonic, National Orchestral Association, American Symphony, Metropolitan Brass Quartet, Steve Reich and Musicians, Mel Tome, The Jackson Five, The Hues Corporation, Sam and Dave.
- Broadway Show Orchestras - including Gershwin’s “Porgy and Bess” (1977 Broadway Production) and original-cast productions of Sondheim’s Sweeney Todd,” Richard Rodgers “Rex,” and Bernstein’s “Candide.”
THE JUILLIARD SCHOOL (New York City): Doctor of Musical Arts Degree (1986)
- Faculty, Lecturer on Music History (1985-87)
BROOKLYN COLLEGE (City University of N.Y.): Professor of Music Emeritus (1985-2012)
- Guest Conducted the Conservatory of Music Orchestra, Wind Ensemble, and Contemporary Music Ensemble (ConTempo). Founder/Director/Conductor of Conservatory Brass Ensemble. Professor of Trumpet and Performance Practice.
- AWARDS & HONORS -
- Elected Voting-Member, The Recording Academy and The Grammy Awards (June 2017)
- Composer-in-Residence (all-expenses-paid), Brush Creek Foundation for the Arts, Saratoga WY, June/July 2017
- Meritorious Service Medal, Governor & Legislature of the State of NY (for Music Composition)
- The United States Department of State (for service, Fulbright Scholarship Music Committee)
- TELLY Award (for: Executive Producer & Music Director of an independent classical music video, “Fanfare”)
- U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs (for service to American military veterans)
- The New York City Fire Department (for musical service following 9/11/2001)
- The National Endowment for the Arts (w/ the Metropolitan Brass Quartet)
- Performed in the 1977 Grammy Award Winning recording of George Gershwin’s “Porgy & Bess,” with the Houston Grand Opera on the RCA label.
- Recorded over 40 acclaimed, internationally released audio and video recordings.